Sunday, January 07, 2007

Danga' Danga'

The new update from Quit Meter: 97 cigarettes not smoked, $24.25 saved. We went out of town this weekend to Monterey and I craved a cigarette at various points throughout the weekend, these being the most interesting:

1) The Monterey Bay Aquarium was great but, duh, teeming with children. We'd stupidly thought that no one would really be travelling the weekend after New Years. Oh boy, were we wrong. After putting up with loads of children in small, dark spaces, I wanted to smoke cigarettes and do shots of tequilla. See? I'm an adult. I have no kids. I drink. AND SMOKE.

2) They charge $9 to drive on a road? Behind tourists going 5 MPH and staring down the locals to see if they're Clint Eastwood? And once we pass them, to be mocked by TWO people in a row driving Rolls Royces with GOLD trim, not chrome, while then behind the Movie Tours bus? Oy. Can we please pull over by the lone cypress and smoke half a pack? Please?

3) We'd made reservations at a restaurant on Cannery Row for our "fancy dinner" of the trip. We knew we were taking a gamble by eating in the tourist spot, but it was walking distance from the hotel (no drinking and driving!), reasonably priced, and came recommended. Oh boy. We walked up and I thought, maybe it was a problem when they were the only restaurant on Cannery Row with a hocker out front trying to drum up business. Then, we walked in and I thought, maybe it was a problem that they had bright, sparkly turqouise booths and the clientelle were either huge families or solo diners. I knew it was a problem when we sat down. There were no bottles of wine available, it was only by the glass and to the tune of $7/ glass of a type I spend $6/ bottle on sale at Albertsons. The menu was different than the one we'd seen online, and not in a good way. We may have stuck it out if it weren't for the fact that the light above our table kept blinking in and out and making this horror movie buzzing sound. I faked sick and we high tailed it out of there... starving. The one really well reviewed restaurant within walking distance had a two hour wait. So, we went to El Torrito. For reals. Anyhow, the point of this story, we each had two fabulous cadillac margaritas at El Torrito. Fabulous. The waiter would walk by and shake the Grand Marinier shot glass to make sure we were consuming each last drop. I really, really wanted to smoke after that. The husband had a cigarette and we looked for a sweet shop. We stumbled across a cigar shop. I went into the back cellar and literally sniffed bags of tobacco and loads of cigars while drinking strong, black coffee. Gross? Yes. But, at least I didn't smoke.

4) After a ten am wine tasting in the Carmel Valley. Who drinks wine at ten am without a follow up cigarette?

The realization... I smoke(d) because

1) I am the square in my family. When I started smoking I was the nerdy, ugly one with good grades. Smoking was both rebellious and dangerous. Quitting smoking in the short term means loosing some sort of edge. So, I am hoping to keep the edge alive by riding a bike in the city and learning how to dive for abalone in the Red Triangle (read: great white breeding ground).

2) Smoking is something entirely selfish. Something I "do for myself." So fucked because, obviously, doing this something for myself is killing me. (A fucking decade I've been smoking. And not socially). So, I am taking the money saved ($24.50 now) and using it on indulgent beauty treatments. Next weekend - a pricey pedi with A. Followed by -- facials? Haircuts? Expensive heels that I can wear while riding a bike down Market street?

5 Comments:

At 10:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You shoulda come with us to Mendocino. No tourists, no kids...the local wine we bought wasn't so good, but we've got a bottle of something red from Australia from Trader Joes to make up for it...

Hurrah for "97 not smoked." Maybe this will help: if you have the will power to read through one of Judge Possner's opinions and put up with me being drunk through all of Criminal Law, you can quit smoking.

 
At 8:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

how SF would that be to ride a bike in Christian Louboutins?!?!? I love that image.

and YAY for you... kind of a long story why I didn't answer my phone on Friday, but please, please feel free to call me anytime.

97 not smoked is GREAT!

 
At 9:18 AM , Blogger Sethonious said...

When I wasn't ignoring the children and actually observing them at the aquarium I had one thought in my head. "But I want an oompa loompa daddy..."

 
At 6:13 PM , Blogger Shopping's My Cardio.com said...

wow, congrats on the 97...seriously! and long time, no talk...but i'm glad to hear/see you're doing so well. drinks are long overdue, don't you think?? :)

 
At 5:50 AM , Blogger kommishonerjenny said...

if it makes you feel better, i went to el torito on my vacation as well. except i was in istanbul. (it was my last night! i couldn't take the lamb and pita any more! a person can only handle so much turkish food! i was dying for an enchilada!) don't ask me why there is an el torito one block from the hagia sophia, because i surely don't know.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home