Thursday, July 20, 2006

Randomly bursting into song

Today at work my co-intern began singing "A Few of My Favorite Things" about our job. I added things like "Paper cuts on my fingers, motions written by dingers...Files that caaaaaaan't be fooooouuund." It was a good laugh and a horrible sound.

I kept with the trend on the drive home (I give co-intern rides because I like her and because it eases my guilt about driving an SUV in the city). I am all for bikers and give them props for riding in the city with massive hills and narrow roads and loads of bad drivers. But, I am anti bikers who ignore stop signs taunting people to hit and kill them. When one such biker cut me off on the way home, I sang, in a very soothing, girlish lullaby voice: "You have a stopsign too...douchebag...DOOOOOOCCCHEEBAG."

The trial I was second chairing got stayed. Meaning, no second chair for me. It's on appeal. Boo. Hiss. It was a case I'm really interested in. But, I got assigned second chair of another trial that started this afternoon. As in, here's the file, the jury panel has been ordered. You're picking a jury in five minutes. Unfortunately, it seems likely that this too will, uh, go away. The trend seems to be: if you want a trial to go away, have SKH sit second chair.

5 Comments:

At 9:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can second chair my appeal! Not that I actually get to argue it - just write it and have someone else slap their name on it - but we can pretend!

 
At 7:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there,

I happened upon your blog by way of Clever WoT. I'm going to be attending Hastings in the Fall, and I wanted to ask if all the stories of true of Hastings students being cut throat. I read the advice you gave to the 1L last month, but do you have any school specific advice?

 
At 8:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: cut throat Hastings students.

I'm a classmate of skholar. I heard the same rumors before I started Hastings, and I was pleasantly surprised. As long as you don't act like an ass, no one else will.

School specific advice...be prepared to spend lots of time on your LW&R class - don't let the 2 units fool you. The elevators in the front are usually faster than the elevators in the back, but they've been known to trap people. Try out the different activities / clubs that are available, and don't be afraid to drop out of any that don't excite you.

 
At 9:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the response Bevy! How about the professors? Do they really grill students using the Socratic method? In other words, did any of them feel like the Paper Chase was a documentary?

 
At 4:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't watch the Paper Chase - and still haven't. They do use the Socratic method to some extent, but it really wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. As long as you can come out with something about the facts of the case, and something about what the court said, you're fine. Once you realize that you're not supposed to get it right, no worries.

But each professor is different, so spend a little time getting to know their styles. Once you get your class list, let us know, and we will you clue you in if we know anything.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home