Thursday, August 25, 2005

The 1L awww

One of the hardest social aspects of being a 1L is loss of identity. In undergrad, in my previous work life, and among my group of friends, I have (or, rather, had) a pretty strong sense of self. But, I feel like my 1L experience is not so much mine as it is a collective right of passage that has eliminated that sense. I’m hard pressed to locate anything unique about what I’m going through. Even among my friends, I am now “the first year law student.” I hope that my identity will come back once I’m done hampstering (thanks for the verb, F!) my way through the first few weeks.

But, today = far better than yesterday. I finally understand where we are in contracts. Found out today that professor K is a blogger, which shouldn't at all play into my opinion of him, but inevitably does, in a good way. And, we’re behind in contracts and Civ Pro, meaning less to read for next week.

And, I was too pissy yesterday to mention an interaction I had with a couple of 3L friends. In both instances, the 3L friend introduced me to the other 3L friends they were with. Like this: "This is ::skh:: and she's a 1L." At which point, the friends would look at me with sincere sympathy and sigh, "Awww, it'll be over soon, we promise." This happened in two separate instances, so it must be the universal code on how to interact with 1Ls, well, at least for nice people.

3 Comments:

At 8:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my friend M and he is a down's syndrome dog with three broken legs and cataracts, awwww. That sucks, but at least people have sympathy for the pain and you have gotten away from the "how fast are you going to sell out" questions. Love you

 
At 8:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry for contributing to your craptastic day :(

but--it's Friday!!

*hugs*

 
At 3:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Horse racing results 17 march Starbucks coffee coffee maker coffee table coffeed Ptcprod service drill asp clomid 362920 condi 447 test the cholesterol levels Kia carens alloy wheel Proactiv solution opinions

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home