Wednesday, September 21, 2005

iPod philosophy

My husband and I share an iPod. As an only child, I must say that this arrangement presents some challenges for me. Anyway, I get custody on Wednesdays, my most hellish days. Sometimes, having almost our entire music collection at my fingertips is too much. Making a choice paralyzes me. Today, not yet caffeinated and feeling frumpy, I decided to make two play lists to fit into my pattern: pump me up songs for the morning and songs to decompress on the ride home. I have not yet actually made the play lists, but here's what worked for today:

Woo-hoo! I'm going to law school TODAY. YEAH! Play list for the morning

The Killers -- All the Things that I Have Done. This is a good starter. It begins slowly, awakening little pockets of my mind. The repetition of "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier" is akin to spirit brainwashing, and say, football warm-ups.
Gorillaz -- Feel Good. This just makes me feel cool and happy, despite the fact that I look like an idiot carrying a hiking backpack that weighs roughly 67 lbs, have acne again, and see dark circles orbiting around my eyes every morning. By the way, today a woman who looked to be about 85 and was half my size was sitting on Muni in front of where I stood. She offered to hold my back pack for me. That did not make me feel good.
Rolling Stones -- Start me Up. Actually, that one isn't even on our iPod. I'm going to fix that momentarily.
Fall Out Boy – Sugar We’re Going Down Swinging. Dude. I have a soft spot for pop punk. I’m from SoCal.

Fuck, that was a long day and maybe I hate my life and I need songs to help me lick my wounds…Play list for the ride home

Pinback – I try to listen to all of self titled, but get impatient and end up playing Loro on repeat a time or two.
Otis Redding – Sitting on the Dock of the Bay. Wouldn’t that beat sitting on Muni looking at the protruding stomach of a woman with scabies.
Damien Rice – Pretty much anything will fit the bill.
Modest Mouse – Broke, Other People’s Lives, Talking Shit About a Pretty Sunset
And, finally, I am sick of being depressed so I switch to Bright Eyes. Heh. But, at least I choose the really abrasive angry song #3 on Fevers and Mirrors. It’s called the Calendar Hung Itself or something equally uplifting.

Artists that tried and failed:
Mason Jennings. I love him, but his songs make me want to drop out of school and drive through the redwoods in a pick up with S and the dog.
Kelly Clarkson, Beyonce, Ashlee Simpson, The Black Eyed Peas. I think I’m just over them. If you have recommendations for cheesy pop or good hip hop, lemme know!

6 Comments:

At 9:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"does he kiss your eyelids in the morning when you start to raise your head? And does he sing to you incessantly in the space between your bed and wall?" If his name is Sethonious the answer is "yes"

I know you don't like them but Rocket's RFTC is full of thrashing crowded bus riding hits. Don't forget about the Hot Snakes either. Don't forget how good Rancid is I put all their albums on the pod recently. Ted Leo and the Pharmacists are also good. Explore the pod, become one with the shuffle feature.

 
At 10:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Israel Kamakawiwo'ole is also full of happy music. I know the songs are in a different language, but there ain't nothing like a good uke to put a smile on a face.

 
At 12:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh sarah. you make me laugh miles and miles of coastline away. I have a LOT of good ones for you. maybe we should skip christian (christian???? hello????) and just all send each other cds haphazardly, end up with the exact same songs on all of them, and laugh about it. while watching little old woman with too many pink plastic bags on the turk bus tap her head with ballpoint pen incessantly. laugh.

 
At 2:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work eau de guerlain aftershave Sony handycam ccd trv45e Headphones infrared closed nimh huntington beach teeth whitening Bookmakers by country Football winthrop Coffee makers warmers molinard perfume http://www.purchaseativanonline.info impotence drug for women surveillance equipment dealers columbus ohio Hair penis Milf sexy moms 2001 lexus gs300 engine specs Discover camping british columbia Information on side affects of zocor 48 hour dietary supplement Discover card career side effects of the drug levaquin spybot spybot spyware

 
At 3:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Amateur football alliance roulette 2bonline cheapest+adipex+online loli pee Sophos antivirus software

 
At 8:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » » »

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home