Thursday, September 01, 2005

Speaking of Saved By The Bell

I spent a lot of time today stuck on MUNI (do I ever shut up about the bus??). Long story, has to do with a bus driver freaking out about today's fare strike. Anyhow, when I wasn't eavesdropping on the conversation of an older woman recently converted to Marxism, I was craving a wireless connection to update this blog.

3 ish weeks in, here are my observations/ thoughts:

The goods:
* I scored in the professor department. I at least like all of them, and love a couple.
* I'm interested in things I thought I would hate.
* Selling a kidney for money? I could make an argument (k, maybe not a great one, but give me a few weeks) for either side.
* My English degree, totally helpful.

The bads:
* It is very easy to feel inadequate or like a slacker. There are already people having study-group-athons. While study groups have never been my thing, I hear this and think, should I be doing that? Am I prepared enough? Am I working hard enough? Is there ever enough time? (Think Jessie Spano)
* This gets especially frustrating in the light that I'll get essentially no feedback until exam time.
* I'm very easily annoyed. Am also, in general, judgmental. NOT GOOD when you have class with the same 80 people. Must work on this.

The ugly:
* LWR (law student-ese for Legal Writing and Research). I know, I know, it's useful. It's also a total PIMA (pain in...you get it).

4 Comments:

At 9:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah blog spam!

okay seriously... don't let the other people get you down. easy to say, I know I felt the same way at times, but there is such a thing as studying TOO much -- especially this early on.

in some ways I think law school is a self-fulfilling prophecy -- we're told that it's impossible (particularly 1L) and that we have to devote ourselves completely and be super stressed all the time. in part, it's true, you have to devote yourself to it to understand what's going on -- but I also think people buy into it, especially when they are hyper about it this early on. In other words, people act how they think they're supposed to in this situation, without stopping to consider what they true reaction might be.

*hugs*

 
At 11:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'm so excited, I'm so excited. I'm so, so SCARED"
-Jesse Spano

 
At 12:20 PM , Blogger Frith said...

Big hugs! I'm reading your blog to Coltrane. He looks impressed.

 
At 8:51 PM , Blogger ::skh:: said...

Aww, thanks Becki. They keep trying to tell us it is for those of us planning to work in public interest/ government work. The first question I ask when I interview at the will be -- do you have Lexis/ Westlaw??

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home