Thursday, December 01, 2005

Comparative

In a little over two weeks the first semester will officially be over. I will be on break. I will go to yoga and then watch day time television and then drink wine with lunch. I have always been hard worker, but I will honestly be able to say that I have worked harder this semester than I have worked...ever. There were costs and I will make up for them by seeing friends and getting a facial and going shopping and having my hair cut. And when I ask the husband how his day was, I will really listen and I will try to make dinner for him even though it will end up tasting like shit and then I'll have to take him out.

I will spend time with the fam -- those people who really believe in me. Who believe that because I am "smart," know how to use a computer, and have ambition, I will escape the tough economic times and depression that got in their way, that prohibited them from living the life they wanted.

For three weeks, I will not compare myself to other people -- the peers who "get it" in school or those who are enjoying themselves by avoiding graduate school and not wasting their twenties. I will not measure myself in terms of upward mobility. I won’t think about how far I've come from home or about how far I have to go. I will be satisfied.