Friday, December 09, 2005

::semi drunk blogginng::

I am sick of whining on this blog. So, without whining I will add some items to my "things I'm looking forward to" list. I am looking forward to EXERCISE so that my clothes actually fit the way they should. Additionally, I am looking forward to being able to remember how to put on makeup. Oh, and being able (hopefully) to go out to a bar, dressed up, without feeling like microwaved dog shit.

What is it about law school that beats my confidece enough to send me back to age 15 when I was similarly acne prone and insecure? Stress, sure. But I've been stressed before -- working almost full time in college, family dying, planning a wedding, the husband and I loosing our apartment and literally everything we owned. What makes this different Thoughts? A and B (I think the only other law students who read this blog)?

The friend who is in grad school at UW put it best, "I ask myself every day if it is worth doing something I really don't enjoy so that I have a job I'll hopefully enjoy later."

It's weird for me to not enjoy school. And this isn't just exam related -- I remember telling Prof K, who is also my advisor that I don't like law school. I like learning and I like the idea of being in law school and I totally have an ego about actually being in law school. However, that does not add up to enjoying law school. But I guess that's why they don't call it happy fun time.

7 Comments:

At 10:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I REALLY wish I had an answer for you. I had a similar conversation with a friend at the beginning of the school year, and neither of us were really sure either, except that we still feel like shit on occasion as jobless 3Ls. not as often as in 1L, though, so there has been improvement to some degree.

I think some of it has to do with the fact that law school is a very poor educational model and that it attracts very intelligent people who aren't sure what to do with their lives but think law school sounds good 'cause they can't or don't want to hack through the science necessary to become a doctor. Add in the prestige and money factor associated with BIGLAW (or other highly competitive, desirable public interest positions) and law review... I don't know, it just largely is a system that is set up to reward only a few people, even though many people are deserving.

unhelpful enough?

p.s. you should read http://favorabledicta.blogspot.com -- she's hilarious and she can articulate these feelings much more completely.

 
At 9:49 AM , Blogger ::skh:: said...

Very helpful. I'm just not used to competing with other people like this. My undergrad was really chill and before law school I worked at a nonproit that was very collaborative. I worked hard at both, but it felt rewarding. Put in the hard work, get the grade or promotion.

 
At 10:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I think the competition is definitely a huge factor in this. I walked away feeling good about the Torts exam, but then the whole doubt thing started in because of the curve.

I've already pretty much kissed my scholarship goodbye. I think I'll pass out if I make it into the top 10%.

I think and hope that we'll feel better during the second semester. We'll have a much better idea of what we need to do. This is just a means to an end - you can do anything for three years if it leads to something you really want.

 
At 2:49 PM , Blogger ::skh:: said...

And there's the real question: Do I really want this?

 
At 6:17 PM , Blogger ::skh:: said...

Once again, Bevy makes wise comment.

 
At 11:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Consumer credit debt 1946-1960 liposuction amarillo golf instruction discount+braided+area+rugs Western+area+rug Unique piece swimsuits Germany car dealer Cabinet corner protector body building federation fitness mexican Arnica 6c for hair loss Home cholesterol tests Rag rug workshops in cornwall area Vampire+contact+lens Free standing bedroom cabinets Furnishings rug area wildlife wonders Travellers long term care insurance pdr ultracet solomono area rug area rugs

 
At 8:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the most selfish, pedantic statement about the idea of going to any school I have ever heard.
You totally like the idea of leaning, you totally are into the ego thing of being a lawyer, yet you don't like law school?
I think you are not going to like being a lawyer, then, perhaps as much as you think.
You, in my humble opinion, are making a mistake.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home