Friday, February 17, 2006

Dorking out to the Supremes

My environmental law class has an extra credit assignment -- betting how each justice will vote in 3 upcoming clean water act cases. So, I thought that I would spend some time looking through recent stuff.

I am reading the transcript of an oral argument and laughing to tears. Justice Breyer is hilarious. And I can't decide how sad it makes my life that I think that. Anyway. Breyer asks counsel: "So, if I punch a great big hole in the bottom of lake eerie, I didn't violate the act." Counsel responds something like No. "But, if I take a great big dump truck of dirt and dump it in lake Eerie and displace all the water, I violate the act?" The counsel not only responds in the affirmative but continues to say "We only bring in a little dirt, at the margins." And Justice Breyer replies: "Okay then. So your argument is that if you only violate the act a little bit, you get off?"

3 Comments:

At 9:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations, you're a law dork!

 
At 9:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to admit, Counsel has a point. I mean, it sounds like under the Act, if a kid threw a rock into the lake, he'd be guilty...

 
At 11:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Debt reduction services of idahoes Theory of blackjack 6th edition Helmut lang perfume 15 year mortgage for fair credit people brand name washer dryers Marketing partner contact email How many people are missing from cruise ships Mature 2bxxx 2bmovies Buy debts from the corporations http://www.buy-a-used-minivan-denver.info/Toronto-minivan-special-deals.html

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home