Monday, June 30, 2008

Study aid

A friend of mine just finished taking a rather grueling exam and told me that sugar free red bull really helped him study. He didn't drink one every day, but maybe 2x a week when he needed to get a lot done or wanted some extra help focusing. A friend from law school used to drink one before finals. I am going to the corner store to test it out. At this point, I need all the help I can get.

Update Well, the red bull did help me focus. But, it also made me feel shaky and a little numb in my limbs. So, I think I may be sticking with good old espresso.

Update 2 I feel utterly defeated and freaked out. I was in a friend's wedding this past weekend which meant missing about 3 days of Barbri/ normal study time. While I did manage to make a set of evidence flashcards while on the road and there, I am seriously behind where I want to be. Today I also realized that our crim pro lecturer was not very clear or helpful and that I need to basically recreate the structure of my crim pro outline. And, since we are learning 3 new subjects this week, the only three I did not take in law school, I am not feeling confident in my ability to catch up. I sort of panicked and cried on the husband's lap. I managed to make a schedule for the week that has me caught up by Friday, but it seems overly ambitious. BLECH.

3 Comments:

At 7:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It gives you wiiiiiings!

But yeah, the key is not drinking it on a regular basis, or your body just starts demanding it. It is a nice little boost that makes you think much more clearly.

And it isn't on the CSA list, so, you know, bonus.

 
At 11:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh - don't drink it all at once - a sip here and there over a couple of hours works better.

You will be okay. Our crim law prof - the one I think you didn't have because he was sick - said there are three zones of knowledge:

1: Glib knowledge.
2: A huge meandering zone.
3: You really know the stuff, this is the zone that gets you an A in law school exams.

He said: Stay in glib! You will do much better there than in zone 2. So for those three subjects, try to think of it as a blessing that you didn't have law school classes to make the subject more complicated than it needs to be (for the bar).

And, borrowing some advice from a friend who just passed the CA bar: work on the property mbe questions. This area has a really low average rate, but the questions really aren't that hard if you memorize the rules - it is just that the fact patterns are long and seem convoluted, so most people's eyes start glazing over. So break down the elements of each property question into an equation or something like that, and you'll be fine. I've been following his advice and I'm getting 80% of the "advanced" questions right, and you know how much I HATE property.

As for the crying: I've done that three times in the last 72 hours - do you think we have an IIED case against BarBri or the bar itself?

 
At 4:27 PM , Blogger ::skh:: said...

Bev - that was a great and much appreciated pep talk. Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home