Thursday, July 17, 2008

I need a new plan - STAT

So, it hit me today that I need to have all this shit memorized in 11 days. Depending on how you count them, there are 12 - 16 subjects tested on the CA bar. So, let's say 12, that gives me less than a day per subject. I've been working on Wills and Trusts all day, but it took me forever just to feel like I understand it. Then, I tried to start memorizing and realized I needed a schedule, had a little melt down and have spent the last 15 minutes staring at my surroundings - to do lists, stacks of books, scattered flashcards - and trying to figure out the best approach to the next 11 days. Do I abandon practice essays in favor of memorization? Do I worry less about precise memorization and keep cranking out the essays? Start drinking redbull around the clock? AAARAKJHG:KJN.

Advice welcome...

2 Comments:

At 10:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have enough time between now and the exam to go through each subject thoroughly at least twice (i'm thinking half days for each subject, adjusting where you need to). i would keep cranking out the essays - for me, the repetition is what helped hammer home the main points. maybe as you review each essay you can jot quick notes to yourself on the elements you missed. But I am someone who memorizes through the act of writing, so that may not be as helpful for you.

 
At 8:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A has hit the nail on the head. How do you best learn things? (note the word "best" in there - I'm starting to talk like an MBE question)

Start cutting minor stuff out of your outlines, there just isn't time for it anymore, and just leave the big stuff - if you skim through model answers for the essays, you should see some things come up over and over - memorize those things. Like, for wills and trusts, if CA is anything like OR, you gotta know how to validly execute a will, what the elements of a trust are, how intestate succession works, how to deal with interested witnesses, and how to challenge a will (mostly undue influence). There is more than that, obviously, but you don't have to master the subject.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home