Sunday, April 16, 2006

Awwww... Freak Out!

It's about that time. But this isn't a post about the fact that finals are around the corner and I'm not ready and stressed to the point of needing to be talked down from a ledge. No, this is a post about family.

We went to the in laws for Easter. I have a long history of feeling conflicted about religion, so celebrating the resurrection of our savior strikes a little skeptical place in my heart and makes me feel like quite the hypocrite. Add this to the fact that I am stressed/ busy and that we don't smoke at all in front of the parents, well....Jesus questioning and nicotine withdrawal aside, I had a great time. I only put my foot in my mouth a few times, and most of them were minor. The most glaring example would be when talking to my mother in law about surrogate mothering. She wrote the California policy on the subject and has lots of strong, well informed opinions. But, she was quite surprised when I said that if we couldn't get preggo the natural way (assuming we decide to have kids, a subject left for another year) we would definitely adopt. To get the impact of the conversation, I will let it unfold in dialog:

Me: "Well, if husband and I couldn't have kids, I don't know that we'd do that. (Meaning pay 50 grand for a surrogate mom to carry a genetic creation of our sperm and egg)"
Her: "Oh, yes you would. I KNOW you. You'd do whatever it took"
Me: "Well, I think that at that point, we would be more likely to adopt."
Her: Trying very hard to relate "Well, you don't want to adopt in this country. The only ones that are adopted out are...
Me: "Drug babies. But (thinking, don't they deserve loving parents? Get gloriously saved by husband.)
Husband: "Oh, well, at that point, we'd adopt from China or another country."

The thing about my MIL is that she really is perfect. She's never had a hangover, never forgets birthdays, never farts in public, and almost died giving birth to both of her sons. She's a nurse director and works 12 - 14 hours a day. When babies die, it is her job to call their time of death and comfort the parents. She is successful in her career, socially perfect, and a domestic goddess who makes 5 desserts for a 6 person Easter dinner.

Meanwhile, I crave drinks at 2pm while my dog destroys her lawn, muddies her carpet, and ignores me for 42 straight hours. I have tattoos, and don't know if I want kids, and, and, and...

5 Comments:

At 9:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I know about surrogacy is limited to the first two classes of Contracts -- 2.5 years ago.

with that in mind, I don't think I would EVER go the surrogacy route. Way too expensive, too many unknowns (i.e. birth mother freaking out), and there are just way too many children already who need loving parents. ugh.

am having a breakdown myself at the moment. nobody loves me. AAARRRGGH.

 
At 9:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. "preggo"?? ;)

 
At 7:48 AM , Blogger ::skh:: said...

I love you!

 
At 8:38 AM , Blogger Sethonious said...

My mom is perfect. That is why I try so hard to not be perfect. I leave dirty socks all over the house on purpose. I make a game out of where/when I fart in public. And if I shoot blanks I'm getting the most strung out baby I can, cause s/he will know where to score!

Thanks for being great.

 
At 8:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info legal malpractice topless bottomless mature ladies meridia mortgage contact eye inserted lens picture Bisection penis Dallas hentai store 1988 oldsmobile cutlass sierra vardenafil packungsgre tgp mature panties hidden Bmw lease options

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home