Sunday, April 20, 2008

Spent

We just got home from one of my BFF's destination weddings on Captiva Island, Florida. We were there for a week, staying at an amazing house where the wedding and reception were held. It was sunny and beautiful, but we were pretty busy getting ready so there wasn't a ton of enjoy the sun time.

I was also somewhat of a wreck because the pooch was having a really rough time. He always stays at the home of his dog walker. We usually return to funny pictures and cute stories about how he and the walker's dog played themselves silly and slept together in the human guest bed.

This time, our dog went ferrel. He hid under a car for hours, chewed furniture, stayed up all night whining, peed on things (including other dogs at the park!!), and even nipped at the feet of the walker's husband. They got through the week by (after asking the vet and us) giving him benadryl.

Understanding the impact this had on me requires a bit of background - this pooch is tough. He is loving and sweet, and sort of crazy. He's a rescued mix of two very active breeds - boxer and australian shephard. When we adopted him I took him to work as my office policy allowed. Until his cute antics became major annoyances. We put him in day care then finally interviewed walkers. The first told me I had to have him in intensive doggy therapy and training. Then the current walker came into our life and we felt so confident having her take him out during the day and overnight when we went out of town.

After this trying week, she said that she loves the pooch and will gladly still walk him but that she'll have a hard time convincing her husband to let him come back.

Because I was already exhausted, spent last night in a VERY depressing airport hotel in Fort Myers, spent all day flying on Southwest across country and then an hour at 4 different computers in the computer lab trying to print a stupid paper I wrote at the airport, I momentarily lost my shit.

But, my in laws offered to take care of the pooch on our 2 upcoming trips and we're going to take him to the vet. Some preliminary research indicates he may have a UTI, he may have a tumor, or he may have some behavioral issues that require a behaviorist or ... puppy prozac. A long time ago, I would have bristled at the thought of putting my dog on prozac. But all I want is for him to feel better.

3 Comments:

At 7:02 PM , Blogger Viva said...

poor Mingus! and poor you! :(

 
At 8:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for the pup. Sometimes it would be nice if animals could talk...

 
At 3:05 PM , Blogger Shopping's My Cardio.com said...

sweetie, i'm so sorry. you know i've been through my share of dog drama lately, so i'm feeling your pain. our beagle's on prozac, actually, so if you want any thoughts on the effects/dealing with it, let me know - i had a really hard time starting him on it as well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home