Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Advice, especially for fpotus

I feel like I have arived blawg-wise. I got a comment asking for advice:

i'm from ok and about to be an 1L in PA. I would be interested in any advice you would give--maybe how you would have done that first year differently. I am also married and am interested in what you believe are the best ways to balance the husband and the law school.

First -- yay for being from OK! I lived on a farm there when I was younger and my grandfather still has a family farm there. I don't have all of my 1L grades yet, just full disclosure re: any academic advice I have. That said...

You have to put in the work and it will take a lot of time. But, there is a huge difference between putting in a ton of hours and actually studying. (The old work hard, not smart addage.) It's hard to know exactly what that means at first and I still don't have it down. What worked for me was actually reading all the cases, outlining from the beginning of the semester, and then condensing my outlines into smaller checklists around the end of the semester. Some people love study guides, and barely bother to read the cases. I found them extremely helpful for some classes, but thus far have the best grade in the class for which I used no study guide.

Sticking to a schedule that mirrored my husband's was crucial in terms of balancing. I worked 9-5 every week day. A lot of times that turned into 7-7. But, we had dinner (and wine!) together nearly every night. On the weekends, I tried to work from 10-5. But, when I needed a day off to spend time with husband, or friends, or on myself, I did it. If you don't you will just be too burned out (I was still pretty fried by the end of both semesters, but think it could have been much worse.) Keep doing things you like. You will have to give stuff up, and there will be things you can't do as often, but do not give up everything. Outlets are important.

Being married the first year can be tricky. For me it was also grounding and rewarding. I needed someone outside of law school to keep me in check and remind me that law school is a crazy bubble world. I needed someone who would listen to me blabbering and slobbering about how I couldn't do it anymore and how much I sucked, etc. We got into some fights because there was lots of stress for both of us. I needed a LOT from husband in the emotional support and work around the house areas. When you need those things, try to ask for them rather than expecting them and getting frustrated and yelling later (not that I did that or anything.) Law school can change you in some weird ways. As one of our 1L professor's said, don't bring your lawyer mind into your relationship. It can be hard not to, but when your spouse is telling you how they feel it is totally rude and unfair to look for the weakness in his/her argument rather than listening to what they are trying to tell you.

Back to the importance of scheduling: a key for me was NOT studying in the law school library. Of course, I would study there between classes. Otherwise, I did my work at home. It's hard enough without seeing all of your classmates doing X,Y,Z. Even though you don't need to do what they are doing, you will likely feel guilty that you're not and think that you should be doing what they are or doing more.

That's all I can think of right now. A, B, others, advice to add??

10 Comments:

At 10:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have a GROUPIE! that's so cute!

um... advice... um. communication is very, very key... on both sides. I AM a different person (one that I don't necessarily like) than I was three years ago, for better or for worse, but luckily, my husband still loves me.

and remember that you are way better off than your classmates who are not in committed relationships -- you have something to strive for aside from school. that's important.

 
At 6:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, definitely try study guides. Skholar is right - they won't work for every class - but they work magic in some. I didn't use any during first semester, and I paid the price.

Also, if you don't feel like you've got your mind around a concept, don't give up on it. Read every resource you can find - even if it is a google search - until you get it.

 
At 9:00 AM , Blogger Sethonious said...

It is also a good idea for the husband to know what is expected of him. He's got to let go when he is getting his head bit off for no reasons. Sometimes an evil law banshee will destroy his will to live with one cold look or one snarky spine crushing comment. Then it is crucial that he say to himself. "this is not my wife right now, this is a crazed animal who really loves me she is just in a bad place right now."

I used to never let stuff roll, and I am not perfect but I am a lot better about letting go of stupid stuff rather than holding on and obsessing about stuff I can't change.

 
At 12:33 PM , Blogger Shopping's My Cardio.com said...

just had to say i loved sethonius' comment...and am instructing my hubs to refer to me as 'evil law banshee' from here on out.

skholar, excellent advice to your groupie....isn't it nice to have hindsight now? :)

 
At 3:58 PM , Blogger Sethonious said...

Ugh I said "stuff" three times in the last run on sentance. I was trying to sound professional and avoid words such as "shit" "asspoopbutt" and other offensive favorites of mine.

 
At 6:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Asspoopbutt!

Also, more advice: buy "Law School for Dummies." Read it. I'm serious.

 
At 7:35 PM , Blogger ::skh:: said...

Ditto re: Law School for Dummies. Don't read Law School Confidential. It is written by the people in law school who you will hate.

 
At 8:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to write my own book on law school. It is going to be called "Why Law School is a Terrible Way to Train Lawyers, and By The Way, a Law Degree is Really Only Good for Practicing Law."

 
At 9:03 PM , Blogger ::skh:: said...

PS - I meant "work smart not hard." Oy.

 
At 6:09 AM , Blogger Jeanne said...

I always study in the library. But I do it alone, in a little study carrell that has a nice view of the baseball field. Mmmmm, baseball players.

Anyway. I liked that because then when I was at home, I was at *home* and could concentrate on being present there. But people do lots of things in law school that work for them and wouldn't work for me, and I'm sure I did lots of things that wouldn't work for others.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home